Friday, September 22, 2017

Self-Selected Books

The best ways to foster a love of reading in children:
-provide a lot of high-interest reading material
-model a love of reading

And, of course, let students self-select their own books. 

Let me tell you a secret. I used to hate reading. In school, I was always good at reading, I just didn't like it.  My teachers gave me books that I had to read.  And because I had to read the books they chose, I hated it.  I don't want to do that to my students.  I want them to have a wide variety of books on their reading level (and above) to choose from, and I want them to choose.

Friday was the first day for this group of kiddos to shop for books.  They were so excited!




Each Friday, students will self-select ten new books for reading at school and at home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment