Friday, December 23, 2016

Pokémon Go: Gotta Catch 'Em!

So I definitely remember in elementary school when Pokémon was a big thing.  Kids were always complaining about losing their Pokémon cards or trading their Pokémon with someone else.  I never got into it.  I thought it was silly.   So, you know, when Pokémon Go came out, I didn't understand the hype.  When David installed it, I made fun of him and said it was ridiculous.

And then I reached a sort of "meh, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality.  And my competitive nature, in conjunction with my enjoyment of being outside and walking, led to where I'm at now... a Level 27 trainer, taking down gyms regularly and talking with my 5- and 6-year old students about which new Pokémon we've collected.  You've got to be kidding me.

The game definitely activates some sort of reward center in the brain. 

You know, when you're running 3 miles just to hatch the eggs you've been incubating and then walking laps around all the local Pokéstops, you have to laugh at yourself.  But it cracks me up that Pokémon Go has players of all ages and backgrounds.  It's funny to run into other people and complain about how you've gotten sucked into the game, but you can't stop now, because you must complete your Pokédex.




If you haven't started playing, let this be a warning: it's highly addictive.
Even when you want to hate it, you still find yourself opening it just to make sure there's no Porygon in your sightings.



No comments:

Post a Comment