Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Wonderful World of Eric Carle

Growing up, there are a couple authors I remember appearing over and over and over again. One of them was Eric Carle.  The other was Tomie dePaola.  My mom would always read me their stories and comment on their art.  Well, madre, it stuck with me... because now I am sharing those authors with my students! 

We started with The Very Hungry Caterpillar since it tied in with the butterfly life cycle.  Since then, we've read Animals, Animals (a collection of various poems with artwork by Eric Carle) and Today is Monday (which was confusing, since we read it on Friday).

After reading Animals, Animals and discussing how writers use rhyming words in most poetry, we brainstormed types of animals we could make and poems we could write. Then I gave students scraps of construction paper to make their Eric Carle-esque art.  When the artwork was done, students tried their best to write a poem about their animal. 

By the way, if you'd like to see step-by-step how Eric Carle really makes his art, click HERE!
We didn't have all those materials, so we did pseudo-Eric Carle art with construction paper cut into pieces.


ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! 6-year olds did these, remember.

Poem (on back): "For a day scoop, a pelican has his lunch upon his beak.  
For no, he is never wrong what he has for lunch."

?????!!!!! Again, I remind you - SIX YEARS OLD.
I think this is better quality than some high school creative writing teachers get.



Ariana clearly appealed to my love of owls in her work! Precious.



After reading Today is Monday, students made a calendar with May and June and wrote some important dates: Today, Memorial Day, Field Trip!, Last Day of School, 1st Day of Summer (Which doubles as Miss Francis's wedding day! HOORAY! But obviously they didn't have to write that one.)

I really enjoyed seeing the personalization in each!

Super Mario Bros. ;)



My Little Pony





We still have quite a few fun ones to do. The Grouchy Ladybug, The Foolish Tortoise, The Greedy Python +more!  We'll get to those three at least. We read The Tiny Seed and A House For Hermit Crab already.

With next week being Memorial Day and the Field Trip, I think we'll do Tomie dePaola books on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. June 2-6 is ALL ABOUT OWLS. woohooooooooooooo! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment