Tuesday, July 23, 2013

10 Things Summer Has Taught Me

Okay, okay, okay... I know it would appear as though I've abandoned the blog in favor of more relaxing activities. And you all probably think I'm having the time of my life down here in Panama City, not thinking about school at all. But I am thinking about school constantly! And sometimes I don't know what to do with so much downtime, except walk around outside! (Or stay in the gym when it's rainy.)

Sometimes it's hard to just sit down at the computer 
and write about what's happening.  
Terrible, since I'm always asking the students to write.

So, I am going to sum up the past (eek!) 1 1/2 months with a top ten list of the things I've learned so far this summer. Ready? Here goes. In no particular order.

1. Double red flags at the beach mean it's a no swim zone.  Purple flags mean dangerous marine life.  I wish I had read the sign BEFORE getting stung by jellyfish.

2. "Weightless" by Marconi Union is the most relaxing song according to a study by British scientists.  After reading about this in a magazine, I've listened to the song almost daily.  Next time you need a little stress relief, turn it on!



3. It rains here. ALL THE TIME. I believe those of you in Virginia are getting more sun (and thus, more of a tan) than I am here. ;) We had to celebrate the 4th of July on the 6th of July because we were working with some flooded streets:

4. Gluten-Free cookies can be as delicious as your average, Gluten-Full cookies. These cookies are dangerously addictive and may have ruined my entire summer workout routine. (Recipe soon to come!)


5. Sweet Frog is the best! Hm, we knew that before summer began. Just a reminder. These were our freebie cups, so naturally they had to be extra-full.


6.  Baby kangaroos are ADORABLE but they are really terrified of you. So even if you pay a designated amount to go play with them, you'll still feel like you're torturing them.



7. Squirrels like popcorn! Almost as much as I do.



8. Never, EVER, try to eat three Wendy's Baconators in one sitting. (Why would anyone try this, right? I know. David was challenged and decided to go ahead and accept.  And when 3,000 calories in one sitting does a whole lot of nothing to your frame, you can eat with reckless abandon like that. Hmph.) In case you were wondering, he got grossed out somewhere around 2.8 and decided not to finish.  His challenger, another officer's wife, succeeded. I'm not sure what feelings I'm supposed to have regarding that, so I'll just sit back and eat my greek yogurt without further comment ;)

He looks like he's having fun though, right??


9. You can give a guy flowers! If they look like this:
Yes, those are bacon cinnamon roll flowers! 
(Expect an upcoming how-to post on those guys, too.)

10. One day it will be nice to have all the loves of my life in one place. My kiddos and my David.  I already knew that one, too.  It just really sinks in when I get so much David time. :)



We packed up this week, since he moves to Warner-Robins AFB, Georgia on Friday.  (That's four hours closer to me next year!! Woohoo!!) The next month includes apartment hunting (for him, I just get to help), a trip to Ohio to see his dad pin on General (high-five, Col. Richardson!) and prepping for the rapidly approaching new school year.  

What has summer taught you? Leave me a comment with any of your new insights.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! How did I not know about this until today?!?! Cutest post ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you!!!! I'm not even a Spotswood mommy anymore :( Doug (he doesn't go by Dougie this year!!!!) and Carmen talk about you ALL THE TIME!!

    ReplyDelete