Thursday, April 11, 2013

Theater IV at Spotswood!

We got to attend a wonderful performance of Thumbelina today in our very own cafeteria! I somehow misunderstood what 'Theater IV' was and mistakenly told the children they'd be going to see a puppet show.  Imagine their --and my-- surprise to see a performance by real people!  (As I'm typing this, I'm also realizing I had students copy the name 'Thumbelina' incorrectly, as I spelled it with two l's. So when you're flipping through your child's morning journal over the summer and see it spelled incorrectly, that's my fault!)

And hey, while we're admitting mistakes, how about the fact that I came in on Monday and wrote the date as April 8, 2012?  De'zaun said "Hey Miss Francis, isn't the date supposed to say 2013?"  Well, either that, or I was gone for a whole year... in reverse? ;)  Proof that teachers lose some focus over breaks, too.

Anyway-- how about these pictures!  I figured I'd ask the actors if my students could get pictures and, whaddaya know, they said YES! So we got to meet them.  I am pretty sure that the little girls were just as excited to meet Thumbelina as they would be to meet Cinderella at Disney World. Hahaha, if for no other reasons than she's pretty, can sing, and she had a shiny dress she could twirl in. That's practically identical to a Disney princess!





The class didn't understand my request to have them scoot together and form multiple rows... So for the sake of time, whoever made it in the camera frame was photographed.  If you're not in this picture, I'm sorry!
Clearly my vantage point wasn't ideal. It was still a great performance!  I was laughing throughout.














To find out more about Theater IV, click here.  Apparently they've joined forces with Barksdale Theatre, where I went for a field trip in high school to see To Kill A Mockingbird (slightly different than Thumbelina, haha).  This new combo is called the Virginia Repertory Theatre, and if you have a chance to go to a show, I don't think you'll leave disappointed!

From their website:

Thumbelina
(K – 5) Book, Music and Lyrics by Bruce Craig Miller 

This beloved fairytale of heroism comes happily to life in this charming, funny and joyous musical adaptation based on the story by Hans Christian Andersen. Join Thumbelina and her friends Toad, Fish, Field Mouse, Mole and Swallow on a series of delightful adventures in nature’s tiny, enchanted world. 
(Feb – Apr, K – 5) Fables, Language Arts, Literary Classic, Music, Reading, Character Development
Supports the Teaching of VA SOL in English: K.1, K.2, K.3, K.4, K.6, K.8, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.7, 1.9, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.8, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3.6, 4.1, 4.2, 4.4, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.5, 5.6



As always, owl be teaching you tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment